Monday 19 January 2015

Gingerbread Biscuits


Before Christmas I went on an epic baking spree. My standard Porter Cake featured but I also made some gingerbread stars because a) gingerbread is super simple to make and b) I have some lovely star shaped cutters that my friend gave me. Stars are pretty much my favourite thing – second are fireworks and then balloons. However, enough about my love of fun things and on to the recipe.

Ingredients
250g butter
200g dark muscovado sugar (regular dark brown sugar can work)
4 tbsp golden syrup (buy the new squeeze bottle they do – it make it to easy)
4 tbsp maple syrup
600g plain flour
2tsp bicarb of soda
4 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
Zest and juice of 1 orange

  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/GM6.
  2. Put the butter, sugar, golden and maple syrup into a saucepan and melt together. You want it to boil and then turn off the heat.
  3. In another bowl mix all the dry ingredients – flour, bicarb, spices and zest – and then stir in the butter mixture. If it’s too stiff then you can use some orange juice to bring it together.
  4. Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough to about 5mm. Then start cutting. I used stars but any shape will work. Gingerbread hold their shape really well so suit being cut into shapes.
  5. Ideally put the shapes in the fridge for about 20 minutes before baking for 8-10 minutes. You want them to be going a little brown. They’ll harden outside of the oven as they cool.
  6. You can decorate these if you like but I tend to just want to eat them.


No comments:

Post a Comment