Tuesday 26 November 2013

Guinness Infused Christmas Mincemeat


It’s bad enough being at the gym without people bugging me the whole time. I appreciate that my many issues with other gym users stem from my dislike of being there but I don’t think that I am totally out of order on all of them. They are mainly changing room based as I think people seem to forget that they are in a public shared space. Overly aggressive moisturising of upper legs when naked is on my list, especially when one leg is on a bench, and unnecessarily bending while naked within main sight lines is another. I do get it; in a gym changing room there is a need for being naked, and I have no issue if someone wants to wander around naked, or dry their hair naked, it just feels like sometimes ladies are pushing genitalia in my face. It bugs me. 

Then there is more passive aggressive behaviour. The leaving open of locker doors, leaving stuff on a bench in front of a locker that isn’t associated with them and moving the hair straighteners to ‘their’ part of the dressing table even though they clearly aren’t going to use them for ten minutes or more. (I don’t use hair straighteners but the pettiness of ‘claiming’ a shared facility, of which there are a substantial number available, when you don’t need them makes me want to). However my completely irrational one (and I admit this as it has no bearing on my life whatsoever so I should get over it) is people who don’t correctly row on the rowing machine. Why this bugs me I don’t know. It doesn’t stop me rowing properly but the sight of someone just using their legs, and then not completing the action by using their arms to pull on the stupid handle, annoys the hell out of me. I try and rationalise it; they could be injured, maybe they have never seen someone row, maybe they are stupid and don’t want to get any better …… I’ll stop there.  

So this all somehow brings me on to mincemeat – the kind in mince pies just to be clear. I don’t mind mince pies but bought mincemeat can be a let-down. Sometimes the fruit is too dry, even though the mixture is moist, or they pimp it with weird things like glace cherries or they add rum to excessive quantities. I also find the sight of shredded suet off putting as it can look like little maggots sometimes. Many irrational personal issues. Therefore I decided to make my own and stop being annoyed by it. I use the principles of the fruit in the Porter Cake I make and apply them to this – so melting everything together, using Guinness and getting the fruit to absorb the moisture. I was happy with the result but there is no reason why you couldn’t pimp it yourself with glace cherries or rum. The whole point of making your own is that it can be exactly how you want it and you can then inflict that on others. 

Ingredients
280g sultanas and raisins (aim for half and half but I only had 100g of raisins so used more sultanas)
70g mixed peel
100g light brown sugar
125g suet (I used vegetarian as I think it’s weird having a dessert item that is non-vegetarian)
200ml Guinness
1 eating apple, finely chopped
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one orange
2 tsp ground mixed spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Good grating of nutmeg 

1.    Put the sultanas, raisins, peel, sugar and suet into a saucepan. Heat until sort of simmering mixing every now and again. The mixture is fairly thick so you want to make sure it doesn't burn.
2.    Turn off the heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and leave to cool.
3.    Once cool give it a good stir and save until you need it. If you want to keep it for a while then store in sterilised jars but if you're using within a couple of weeks I think an air tight tub in the fridge will do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment