Tuesday 5 November 2013

Peanut and Hazelnut Brittle (or Any Excuse to Use a Hammer in the Kitchen)


Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gumpower, treason and plot
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot 

I have two very good reasons to not forget the 5th November. It’s my sisters' birthday and also my sister-in-laws. All a bit random and strange but it helps keep the date front of mind. My sister didn’t really like fireworks when she was little, as many children don’t, which made it a little awkward but she seems to have grown out of it. I adore fireworks (along with balloons and stars) so am very upset that my local park doesn’t do a fireworks display anymore as it got too good and too many people came. I have to be content with pressing my face to my spare bedroom window and watching the sky light up across London. 

When thinking about what to do this week I did entertain the idea of making toffee apples but I couldn’t find any sticks that would stand up to the task. I’ve tried it before with wooden skewers and they are just too weak. However the idea of something that uses harden melted sugar appealed as it felt that it would evoke being by a bonfire. Therefore the idea of making nut brittle formed in my head (I was also passing a Holland and Barrett which made the purchase of nuts fairly easy). 

So below is my version. You can add vanilla extract but I think that distracts from the nuts and a little butter goes a long way to flavour and enhance the sugar mixture. Always be careful around molten sugar as it not only burns but sticks to you while it does it. Don’t lick a spoon, don’t put your finger in during a moment of distraction – it will hurt! I did two brittles with different nuts. I think you can use any but these smaller ones give a good consistency and reduce big bulges of brittle.  I’ve given measurements in cup and weight as I’m nice to you like that. 

Ingredients
1 cup/245g sugar
½ cup/145g golden syrup (tip - whatever touches the golden syrup should have a light coating of oil. So the spoon, container, cup as it comes off easier)
½ cup/125ml water
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp butter
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 ½ cups/250g peanuts (I used salted) or 1 ½ cups/200g hazelnuts 

1.    Line a baking tray with foil and give it a light coating of oil.
2.    Put the sugar, syrup, water and salt in a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. A medium heat will do as this means you panic less about burning it. Let it boil gently for about 15 minutes when it will start to turn a darker brown.
3.    I have no idea about sugar thermometers so the following method tells you easily when the mixture is hot enough. Have a jug or cup of cold water ready with some teaspoons. Once the mixture is golden brown dip a spoon in it and then transfer to the water. Leave for about 10 seconds. If the mixture has hardened on the spoon then it's ready, if it hadn't then it's not. It won't get rock solid, as it's not pure sugar, but it will get close.
4.    Once your mixture is hot enough, turn off the heat and then add the butter, bicarb and nuts. The mixture will foam up so make sure you use a decent sized saucepan – don’t worry it doesn’t go mad. Stir until it calms down.
5.    Pour on to the foil quickly and smooth into a thin layer using a spatula or metal spoon lightly coated in oil. Then leave to set in the fridge.
6.    Now the fun part. Once set, remove the brittle from the tin foil. Hold over a wooden board at an angle and whack it with a hammer (you could use the back of a heavy knife or a rolling pin but why would you when a hammer can be used?) Keep whacking bits until you get the size pieces you want.
7.    Store in a tin with greased foil between layers or in a jar so people can see how amazing you are at making brittle. 

N.B. You can serve it as a big slab with a hammer next to it for people to make their own piece or it works as a gift wrapped in see through plastic. You could add a toffee hammer as well if you can find such a thing.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment