Wednesday 4 December 2013

Tara's Vegetarian Sausage Rolls


I promised my office that I would make the sausage rolls if they filled in our industry training diaries. I’m in charge of making sure this happens and as it's fairly annoying to keep reminding people I find that bribery helps. Anyway I have never previously catered for vegetarians when doing sausage rolls and needed to on this occasion.  

So what to do? Well I went online and found a recipe that looked like the craziest recipe ever for something that would taste good. I found it on The Veggie Mama blog and apparently it’s someone called Tara’s recipe. Now I don't know Tara but I feel it only right to credit her. These look very much like sausage rolls (which might put some people off if the whole point of not eating meat is to avoid what it looks like) with the oats adding texture to them. They are better hot than cold but what isn’t in the baking world? 

Ingredients
1 egg
1/3 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 large shallot (or a small onion)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup oats
1 tsp dry veggie stock (I crushed 1/3 dried veggie Knorr stock cube and that was about right I think)
A good grating of Parmesan cheese
Ready rolled sheet of puff pastry
Beaten egg  

1.    Preheat the oven to 200°C/GM 6.
2.    Put the egg, cottage cheese, soy sauce and shallot in a blender and whizz together.
3.    Put the breadcrumbs, oats and parmesan into a bowl and mix. Add the wet mix and stir together well.
4.    Unroll the puff pastry and cut in half lengthways. Put half the mixture as a sausage down each half. Put some beaten egg down one side and fold the pastry over the mixture, sealing by pushing down with fingers or pressing down with a fork.
5.    Cut into the desired size, brush the top with egg and bake for 20 minutes or so. You can top them with seeds or crushed onion crispies (I find it useful to have something that shows easily what is vegetarian and what isn’t).

No comments:

Post a Comment