Saturday 17 January 2015

Blueberry Buckwheat Pancakes


Well it’s been a while since I posted but that hasn’t been because I haven’t been baking (I write this as if I think there are loads of people waiting with baited breath for my next post). Anyway I’m going to churn through the recipes I have done mainly because I use my blog as an online recipe book to consult if I’m food shopping.

So for something recent. I’m attempting to give up gluten. Mainly because I suspect I’m mildly allergic (yay for someone who likes baking). Now, I don’t really like recipes that attempt to do something with an alternative ingredient when really only wheat based flour will do. I think – you’ve given up gluten, just live without it. However I suspect that if you haven’t eaten gluten for years a cauliflower pizza base could start to be attractive. I’m not there yet. So I’m hunting around for things that work in their own right.

So on to breakfast. I’m been making overnight porridge with chia seeds during the week but at the weekend you want something a bit special. The Thew has been away doing various athletic endeavours so I’ve been left to my own devices. These have involved dancing round the flat to Uptown Funk, going out for pub lunches with my Kindle for company and making these.

Ingredients
120g buckwheat flour
Sprinkle of cinnamon (as much or little as you like)
Pinch of salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
140ml milk
Blueberries - optional (or any berry)
Streaky bacon (cooked up and crispy)
Maple syrup

  1. Mix the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder together.
  2. Mix the egg into the mix.
  3. Using a fork slowly mix the wet into the dry to create a batter. The mix in the blueberries (as there is no sugar in the batter these add sweetness).
  4. Melt so butter (or oil) in a frying pan and dollop tablespoons of the mixture in. This makes about six of that size so I make half and keep the batter. (It is quite happy in the fridge for up to a week – leave the blueberries out if doing this).
  5. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side – the blueberries will hiss and pop but ignore them.
  6. Serve in a stack with the bacon on top and pour on that maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment