Tuesday 6 August 2013

Canelé



I go through phases of experimenting with food. A couple of weekends ago I ate two olives. Those who know me well will realise what a big deal that is as I'm randomly fussy about some food. Now I didn't enjoy the olives but I do now know that if I were forced to eat them again then I prefer fresh ones to those that have been in brine. So I’ve gained something there. Plus I might see if I could cope with them in some form of bread so a new recipe is in the making. 

This all sparks off a more expressive time in the kitchen. I tend to need to gear up to it and I’m now in full swing. I’ve got bored of making the same old things and am in the mood for something new. I've now made chicken liver parfait (of which I now have far too much) and have made a variety of quinoa dishes, aided by a most fabulous book I got for my birthday. I’ve also been messing around with a variety of kebabs after buying some ras el hanout – a delicious blend of spices from North Africa. It makes everything taste of holidays.  

Being in this experimenting mood I decided to bake something a bit different this week. It is something I’ve been gearing up to after someone at work requested them. So I give you Canelé. It was requested by someone at work and I thought why not? The nearest I can come to them is a French take on Portuguese Custard Tarts but without the pastry. You basically make a thin custard batter, leave for a day or so and then bake the crap out of them. Really easy. You need to ensure that the sides get sort of burnt to ensure you get structure to hold them upright. This also gives a wonderful chewy texture. You will need a special mould and I bought a silicon one that holds eight as the copper ones were expensive and you need to butter them well. No such work needed with silicon. I made a few batches so I think I’m almost there with perfecting them. I do have a few pale and squished ones but they taste fine so don’t be afraid if that happens! 

Ingredients
500ml of milk
30g butter
1 vanilla pod (you can use 1 tsp of extract but the seeds look fab in the batter)
100g plain flour
1 tsp salt
180g caster sugar
3 larger eggs
80ml of rum (good quality is best and I used white rum as I had it in the freezer from years ago) 

1.    Put the milk, butter and vanilla in a saucepan and simmer. Once simmering take off the heat and remove the vanilla pod. Cut the pod in half, scrap the seeds out of it and leave the seeds  and pod halves to one side.
2.    Beat the eggs without getting air into them. Use a fork and mix slowly. It will take a big longer but air is deadly to Canelé.
3.    In a large bowl mix the flour, salt and sugar. Pour in the eggs, follow with the milk mixture and stir until combined. Once again don’t beat air into it.
4.    Add the vanilla seeds, pod halves and rum and give it a gentle stir. Then put the batter in the fridge and forget about it for at least a day. You can leave it 3 days if you want. Basically it gives you taller Canelé at the end of it.
5.    When you are ready to bake them preheat the oven to 250°C/GM 8. Put your silicon mould on a baking tray (I’m not about the start talking about copper moulds as they sound a nightmare but butter then if you have them).
6.    Take the batter out of the fridge and mix gently. Then fill eat mould to about 1cm away from the top. I used a ladle but you could put the batter into a measuring jug to pour out.
7.    Bake for 20 minutes and then turn the oven down the 230°C/GM 6. Do not open the oven but set the timer for 20 minutes. Once the second 20 minutes is up open the oven and over the moulds with a sheet of baking paper. This will stop them burning too much. Then bake for another 20 minutes. So an hour in total. This might seem a lot but trust me they need it.
8.    Take out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes before turning out. Then you’re meant to let them cool completely before eating but I say eat at least one of them warm. Cooks rights and all that. 

This made 14 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment