Friday 13 November 2015

Vegan Snickerdoodles



This came about as I was in experimentation phase and due to stay at friends – one of whom is vegan. I don’t like to arrive somewhere empty handed so the hunt was on for some vegan baked goods. I couldn’t be bothered to hunt through my old copies of Jamie magazine to find the ‘vegan’ issue so just went free style on an old favourite.
 
This recipe needed substitutes for butter and egg. The butter is easy as coconut oil has a lot of the same qualities. The egg was harder as I’d never had to do it before. Plus I had thought that this recipe didn’t have egg in so it was initially a bit of a surprise. However help is only a google away. There are tons of suggestions but I went for vegetable oil as it seemed to promise to do what was needed.
 
The final products were very good. A bit more crumbly than regular ones, as I guess the egg does a binding job that the oil doesn’t, but they held their shape. I took them into work, my usual test for my baking, and everyone was very complimentary.
 
Ingredients
125g plain flour
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
60g coconut oil
50g caster sugar + 1tbsp
30ml vegetable oil
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon 
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/GM 4.
  2. Add the nutmeg, baking powder and salt to the flour and mix well.
  3. Whisk the coconut oil and 50g caster sugar together. You’re not going to be creaming it as much as you would with butter, but make sure you spend a couple of minutes doing it.
  4. Then add the vegetable oil and vanilla, mixing well, before adding the flour mixture. You’ll need to use your hands at the end to bring the dough together.
  5. On a plate mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon together.
  6. Then divide the dough into 16 balls. Just break the dough into quarters then each of the quarters into four. Roll into balls, then roll in the sugar and cinnamon mix to cover the outside completely.
  7. Pop on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment