Sunday 26 October 2014

Rhubarb and Custard Macarons


I’m not going to put up the recipe for these as they didn’t work out perfectly. I was experimenting with powdered egg white (because I find it a pain to have to make something with left over yolks) but I don’t think it works on these as the consistency of the whisked egg is so important to the overall recipe. I’m going to see if I can find pasteurised egg whites in a supermarket as I’m sure they must exist.

Macarons are fundamentally easy to make but fiddly to make look flawless. I will say that the texture of these were brilliant and I got that little lip on them that is so vital. So while they weren’t as beautiful as shop bought ones the end result in the mouth was spot on. It just goes to show that baking doesn’t need to look perfect to taste good.

One thing that was a success was the flavourings. I picked up some concentrated rhubarb and custard food flavourings and they worked out really well in these. Subtle and very realistic – I’m going to try it out on cupcakes next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment