Tuesday 18 June 2013

A Very Rocky Road




It all started innocently enough with a bag of marshmallows. On Sunday, during a leisurely walk with The Thew, I pottered around a local deli in the hope of inspiration for something to bake on Monday. I saw a bag of the cutest white mini marshmallows and I instantly wanted them. What to do with them though? I know – Rocky Road. I’ve never made it before but it’s just a lot of lovely things chucked in melted chocolate, how hard can that be?
Apparently, quite hard. (At this point I must point out that the marshmallow packet had a picture of the clown on it which everyone knows are scary, evil things. I shouldn’t have ignored my original revulsion at his stupid smiling face; I should have known things would go wrong). I had what can only be described as a melting chocolate catastrophe. It’s still too painful to talk about much but my chocolate glooped together rather than running smooth. I’m blaming the addition of golden syrup at the melting stage. Although I’ve done that before. To be honest I have no idea why it clumped together and stopped melting properly but it did. There is probably some scientific explanation, especially as this was milk chocolate, but I’m now determined to get a house with a kitchen big enough for a microwave for the sole purpose of melting chocolate. I’ve been burned by the bowl over the hob method and it’s going to take me a while to recover! 
I decided to continue, as I had smashed everything else up, ignoring the fact that mixing things together would be hard when the chocolate was a massive ball of non-meltedness. I put it all into my silicon baking mould and put it in the oven to allow the marshmallows to melt a bit and help bind it together. It kind of worked and to be honest I was so annoyed I shoved the whole thing in the fridge until I cut it up this morning. It's ok. Poeple at my work will eat it. 
So there you have it. The drama that baking (or melting) can contain.
Ingredients
300g milk chocolate
5 digestive biscuits
½ bag of those chocolate covered honeycomb pieces from M&S or two Crunchies
50g raisins
Big handful of mini-marshmallows
3 tbsp golden syrup

1.    Melt the chocolate however you normally do. Good luck!
2.    Smash up the biscuits and Crunchies, if using those rather than pieces.
3.    Add biscuits, honeycomb, raisins and marshmallows to the chocolate and mix. Then drizzle the golden syrup on top, if using, and mix in.
4.    Place in a well lined tray (or a silicon one that doesn’t need lining - mine was 8” by 8”), smooth out and chill for about 2 hours. Lift out and then cut into chunks.
5.    Avoid clowns.




 See? Scary clown!

No comments:

Post a Comment