Wednesday 1 May 2013

Banana Bread with Chocolate Chunks



Now this recipe was inspired by having four very ripe bananas at home the The Thew never got around to eating. I didn’t have any rum or bourbon to make my usual version so thought I’d kind of make it up as I went along. It came out well and got demolished at work. It’s very dense but I believe all good banana bread it. One of my work colleagues took up my suggestion to see what happened when you toasted it and spread it with butter. It worked well. I’d avoid the toaster though and fry or griddle in butter for an immense dessert. 

Ingredients 

100g butter
4 ripe bananas (about 350-400g with the skin off)
200g soft brown sugar (I had light but dark would work)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (as I type this I realise I forgot to put it in!)
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1 pinch of salt
175g self-raising flour
Chunks of chocolate (optional) 

1.    Preheat the oven to 170°C/GM 3. Line a loaf tin. I get the ones from Lakeland that come in the right shape already as it saves so much time.
2.    Melt the butter in a largish saucepan and add the bananas. I break them in and then smash them up with an electric whisk.
3.    Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, bicarb and salt. Whisk again. Then add the flour and mix well.
4.    Pour into the lined tin and just put the chocolate on top. You can push it in if you like, use more than one type of chocolate – whatever you fancy. Bake for about 1 – ½ hours. Test after an hour and see what it’s like.

No comments:

Post a Comment