Friday 7 December 2012

Gingerbread and Custard Cake



I have also baked on Thursday this week. I made a birthday cake for Sam, who I work with, for his 24th birthday and his request was for the gingerbread I'd made a couple of weeks ago. However as I made a special cake earlier this week I thought I should at least change it up a bit.

When I brought in the gingerbread before someone suggested that it would go well with custard. So, inspired by a previous Blackout Cake I've made which uses a thick chocolate pudding between layers, I thought that a custard version of that would do it. And it did!

It came out quite thick as the custard powder most probably had a thickening agent in it so I'd probably go easy on the cornflour next time. However it did work and taste good so sometimes if it ain't broke ....

So first you make this cake and put in two round tins to make the layers, cooking on GM3 for 25 - 30 minutes.

Ingredients

125g caster sugar
1 tsp golden syrup
30g custard powder
50g cornflour
20g butter

1.    Put the sugar, syprup, custard powder and 150ml of water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and whisk away to make sure it’s smooth. Take off the heat.
2.    Mix the cornflour with 50ml water to create the weird paste thing you get when cornflour gets mixed with water. Add this slowly to the pan and whisk it in. (It may go lumpy so you can always blend it but as it’s going inside a cake you can probably get away with it).
3.    If you think it looks a bit thin you can put it back on the heat but basically you’re going for wallpaper paste style thickness.
4.    Leave to one side to cool and then sandwich the two cakes together.


No comments:

Post a Comment