Monday 19 November 2012

Chocolate Digestive Biscuits


Even with the ridiculous amounts of recipe books and magazines I have I do sometimes run short of inspiration. I suppose its' less about running out of inspiration and more not having something that I actually want to bake. I might have a load of recipes lined up to try but either due to the time they take, the ingredients they need or just then type of end product they don’t take my fancy. I can also get side tracked quite easily. If I see something that I like the look of all plans are scrapped and I go ahead and bake that.

I saw a post on a work colleagues Facebook page about the recipe to make digestive biscuits and was instantly hooked. Who wouldn’t want to make their own digestive biscuits?! They also looked very easy to make which is always an advantage when baking in the evening after work. This utilises a food processor and the dough can be made all in one which is always a bonus.

This recipe is for sweet ones but you can reduce the sugar and use them as a biscuit for cheese. I can tell you that the lower sugar version tastes delicious with a wedge of mature cheddar on top, enjoyed with a glass of wine. This make over 30 biscuits, depending on the size of your cutter.

Ingredients
200g porridge oats
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
130g brown sugar (reduce to 100g if you want these to go with cheese)
200g salted butter
4 tbsp milk
100g melted chocolate (I used dark as that was all I had but I made again with milk chocolate and they rock)

1.   Preheat the oven to 180°/GM 4.
2.   Put the porridge oats in a food processor and whizz until fine. The first time I did this I didn’t do it that long and the oats were a bit chunky. People at work said that they were almost like Hobnobs so if you want Hobnobs over digestives then I’d do 100g very fine and 100g barely whizzed to give a rougher dough.
3.   Add the flour and baking powder to the oats and pulse to mix.
4.   Add the butter and pulse to create a crumbly texture. It will start to bind together but that doesn’t matter. You could do this with your hands but why make another bowl dirty when you’ve got the food processor going?
5.   Add the milk and pulse again.
6.   Turn the dough out and press into a chunky disk. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for about 25 minutes so it firms up.
7.   Then take it out and roll to about 3mm thick. It’s important the dough is thin because if the biscuits are too thick they don’t have that amazing crunch. Cut them out with something round. I couldn’t find by 6cm cutter so I just used a random sherry glass that was at the back of my cupboard.
8.   Bake for 18-20 minutes until a little brown around the edges.
9.   Once cooled spread chocolate on top with a palette knife and let set. Eat with a cup of tea and company. Obviously leave the chocolate off if you’ve gone with the version for cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment