Thursday 9 October 2014

Chocolate Malt Biscuits


A couple of weekends ago some good friends of mine got married. The night before one of the Bride's friends, who I met on the hen, stayed over at mine as we were decorating a boat together on the wedding day (I know - random). Anyway she brought many lovely gifts with her, one of which being a jar of caramel biscuit spread (the others alcohol based) which we had discussed in length on the hen do. It’s basically the caramel biscuits you sometimes get with tea or coffee in the little wrapper mushed up to make a spread. I know!!! 

She proceeded to reveal a packet of malted milk biscuits from her bag as these are the structure she had found best to spread this on. It was immense.  

So that got me thinking about malt and biscuits. I’m a fan of malt. I’ll have a malt shake over a pure milkshake but I’ve never been a fan of malt loaf or malt drinks. However the malted milk biscuits were good and so I investigated. I found a recipe and they worked out very well. I made 2 ½ times this amount as my work eat biscuits like the world is ending and I needed lots! 

Ingredients
150g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
100g butter (soft)
75g granular sugar
60g Ovaltine
2 large egg yolks (you can whisk up the whites, add 120g caster sugar to make 2 large meringues. Bake on the lowest heat you have for about 1 hour, turn off the oven and leave to cool in the oven).
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1.    Preheat the oven to 180°C/GM4.
2.    Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Leave to one side for the moment.
3.    Cream the butter and sugar together until it’s got pale. Everyone goes for this fluffy thing but unless you have a free standing whisk thing then about3 or 4 minutes will do.
4.    Then add the Ovaltine, egg yolks and vanilla. Mix well.
5.    Add the flour mixture and you’re done. You may need to use your hands to bring the mixture together as it will just look like wet sand.
6.    Then divide into 16 balls.
7.    Space them out on a baking tray – no more than 8 on a large cookie sheet – and press them down until they are about 1cm thick. Bake for 11 minutes. No more, no less!
8.    Cool and eat with a glass of milk.
 
Look - spread on biscuits!!! Oh and wine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment